Forum Suggestions

Started by Sticki, Apr 12, 2024, 07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Previous topic - Next topic

Sticki

Placeholder thread for now, drop any boards/categories you'd like to see here as well as general suggestions. We have a new theme and many modifications in the works so we can add on any community suggestions as we go along.
:)  ;)  :D  ;D  8)  :-*  ^-^  O:-)

stefanie

how about a promo forum for our personal projects / blog style shit
#everypony
▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█░░▒█ PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE
▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄█ IF YOU ARE A FURRY
▒█░░░ ░▀▄▄▀ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ░░▒█░░ AND YOU ARE PROUD OF IT

spirit!

how about a graphic design help board

pobbus

Quote from: spirit! on Apr 12, 2024, 07:52 PMhow about a graphic design help board

i second this i wanna give my font lists to the world

yakkpakk

VIDEO EDITING/SHOOTING/VJING/COLLAB BOARD

may

cobasquared

ANIMANGA category

poniko

have the main forum page (https://forums.dismissyourself.com/index.php?action=forum) display active threads under categories

Joji

Moving forward with the project, I think we should integrate a handful of forum-specific perks that would incentivize joining/contributing. These could be forum-only events, topics and boards that don't have a discord channel equivalent, daily or weekly pinned discussions, etc. What matters is that they're exclusive to the format.

Most forums dwindle out due to lack of incentive. People will almost always stick to what they're used to (in this case the discord server) unless the alternative adds something they can't access with the status quo.

Sticki

Quote from: Joji on Apr 13, 2024, 12:56 PMMoving forward with the project, I think we should integrate a handful of forum-specific perks that would incentivize joining/contributing. These could be forum-only events, topics and boards that don't have a discord channel equivalent, daily or weekly pinned discussions, etc. What matters is that they're exclusive to the format.

Most forums dwindle out due to lack of incentive. People will almost always stick to what they're used to (in this case the discord server) unless the alternative adds something they can't access with the status quo.
U wanna help wif dat?

Joji

Quote from: Sticki on Apr 13, 2024, 01:30 PM
Quote from: Joji on Apr 13, 2024, 12:56 PMMoving forward with the project, I think we should integrate a handful of forum-specific perks that would incentivize joining/contributing. These could be forum-only events, topics and boards that don't have a discord channel equivalent, daily or weekly pinned discussions, etc. What matters is that they're exclusive to the format.

U wanna help wif dat?

sure, i've got a couple ideas off the top of my head

Joji

Quote from: Joji on Apr 13, 2024, 01:31 PM

U wanna help wif dat?

A few quick suggestions:

-Forum-exclusive interviews and/or QNAs with artists. Most likely following a release, a spike in popularity, or just public demand (if the artist is willing)
-Give every new upload their own respective thread. Maybe keep it pinned until the next project drops, then repeat the cycle. I think using a new thread for every upload is superior to having one huge thread that stays pinned, because discussions wont ever be cut off by something new dropping.
-One thing that probably gets overlooked a lot when it comes to forum building is the coziness factor. A user-friendly layout, a unique and charming aesthetic, little additions that make it feel more alive (like a graphic online list, welcome threads, badges/awards, and so on) all contribute to creating a space that people wanna come back to.
-Another thing that keeps people coming back to a space is the inclusion of cumulative community projects. Basically anything that gets added to over time, and that anyone can contribute to. As one hypothetical example,  putting together community-driven "best of" or "essentials" lists for different genres that are prevalent on the channel (maybe in this hypothetical, people could even set up pseudo-rankings based on a project's popularity among forum users). Whatever the projects are, as long as they get some long term back-and-forth going, they'll be good for activity. It doesn't even necessarily need some relation to music.
-The less-crowded environment of the forum lends itself well to more organized and focused communication. This is great for putting together collabs, giving/receiving constructive feedback, and sharing your creations. So topics like music production, visual art, making videos, etc should pivot away from the discord server and on to the forum

Sticki

Quote from: Joji on Apr 13, 2024, 02:21 PM

U wanna help wif dat?

A few quick suggestions:

-Forum-exclusive interviews and/or QNAs with artists. Most likely following a release, a spike in popularity, or just public demand (if the artist is willing)
-Give every new upload their own respective thread. Maybe keep it pinned until the next project drops, then repeat the cycle. I think using a new thread for every upload is superior to having one huge thread that stays pinned, because discussions wont ever be cut off by something new dropping.
-One thing that probably gets overlooked a lot when it comes to forum building is the coziness factor. A user-friendly layout, a unique and charming aesthetic, little additions that make it feel more alive (like a graphic online list, welcome threads, badges/awards, and so on) all contribute to creating a space that people wanna come back to.
-Another thing that keeps people coming back to a space is the inclusion of cumulative community projects. Basically anything that gets added to over time, and that anyone can contribute to. As one hypothetical example,  putting together community-driven "best of" or "essentials" lists for different genres that are prevalent on the channel (maybe in this hypothetical, people could even set up pseudo-rankings based on a project's popularity among forum users). Whatever the projects are, as long as they get some long term back-and-forth going, they'll be good for activity. It doesn't even necessarily need some relation to music.
-The less-crowded environment of the forum lends itself well to more organized and focused communication. This is great for putting together collabs, giving/receiving constructive feedback, and sharing your creations. So topics like music production, visual art, making videos, etc should pivot away from the discord server and on to the forum
This is good stuff, a few things you mentioned are already being worked on but the community suggestions are all fantastic. Would you be interested in helping with any of that, pal  :o

Joji

Quote from: Sticki on Apr 13, 2024, 03:07 PM
Quote from: Joji on Apr 13, 2024, 02:21 PM

U wanna help wif dat?

A few quick suggestions:

This is good stuff, a few things you mentioned are already being worked on but the community suggestions are all fantastic. Would you be interested in helping with any of that, pal  :o

Sign me up, sir 8)

geoff

Can someone make a thread about yummy food I really like eating food  :P

geoff

Quote from: geoff on Apr 14, 2024, 08:16 PMCan someone make a thread about yummy food I really like eating food  :P
Please can someone do this thank you

yakkpakk

Quote from: yakkpakk on Apr 12, 2024, 10:16 PMVIDEO EDITING/SHOOTING/VJING/COLLAB BOARD
Mother Fucker

binky

Quote from: yakkpakk on Apr 14, 2024, 09:04 PM
Quote from: yakkpakk on Apr 12, 2024, 10:16 PMVIDEO EDITING/SHOOTING/VJING/COLLAB BOARD
Mother Fucker
Why did you call yourself a motherf***er
Binking off

spirit!

nature enthusiasts board

Sticki

Quote from: covetslit on Apr 16, 2024, 01:46 AMA film category for the movie nerds
It already exists

o

probably some other sorts of connections you can add to your profile, because i doubt many people still use skype

Sticki

Quote from: o on Apr 16, 2024, 01:51 AMprobably some other sorts of connections you can add to your profile, because i doubt many people still use skype
Yeah we plan to overhaul that with a ton of much more relevant links and customization.

covetslit

in the member list maybe a part that says how many likes a person has gotten on comments all throughout? although it might just turn into reddit so idk  ::)
Uhhhh hey, does anyone wanna come over to my house?
Oh I forgot you can't! You can't come to my house! Because no one can ever come to my house because I live in the middle place between *the World and Time.
... I'm just kidding guys, I live in the old city of Chicago! Meep Moop Mreaow.

Sticki

Quote from: covetslit on Apr 16, 2024, 02:05 AMin the member list maybe a part that says how many likes a person has gotten on comments all throughout? although it might just turn into reddit so idk  ::)
We're gonna change that a bit too and feature a Thank/Smite count yea

o

just to confirm: occasionally i have seen an orange "Loading" message on the top of my webpage. if this automatically refreshes the topic you are on, then thats nice. if not, would it be possible to add a toggle on each topic that enables this function?

sorry if this is not possible, im not all too familiar with SMF.

Sticki

Quote from: o on Apr 16, 2024, 02:19 AMjust to confirm: occasionally i have seen an orange "Loading" message on the top of my webpage. if this automatically refreshes the topic you are on, then thats nice. if not, would it be possible to add a toggle on each topic that enables this function?

sorry if this is not possible, im not all too familiar with SMF.
No this should be doable, definitely worth looking into. Thank you!

can you add highlight text on the text box (and spoilers)
watching :3

CorradoSoprano

Re:  Introduce Yourself by xyb1a
[Today at 04:53 AM]

Re:  pre 2010 youtube megathread by xyb1a
[Today at 04:42 AM]

Re:  hustler general by ekdsc
[Today at 01:49 AM]

Re:  SHOEGAZE THREAD by john
[Today at 12:05 AM]

Re:  Anyone from Portland OR? by Kniroid
[May 04, 2024, 07:10 PM]