Christianity Thread

Started by CorradoSoprano, Apr 16, 2024, 07:43 PM

« 50 posts gang here | jon jost trilogy »

CorradoSoprano

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

"Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important." - C.S. Lewis

"When Heaven is about to confer a great office on a man, it first exercises his mind with suffering, and his sinews and bones with toil ; it exposes his body to hunger, and subjects him to extreme poverty ; it confounds his undertakings. By all these methods it stimulates his mind, hardens his nature, and supplies his incompetencies." - Mencius

yakkpakk

heard you guys like this sort of thing

yakkpakk

CorradoSoprano

Green Apple Blue Sky

Are there any books in the bible that should/shouldn't be there (or maybe just feel out of place)? Did the early councils get it right on the inclusion/exclusion way back in the 300s? Should all the books hold equal importance in a reading or should the interpretation of some be prioritized over others? I am not Christian but I like bible history proverbs and linguistic interpretation stuff.
        munch crew

CorradoSoprano

Quote from: Green Apple Blue Sky on Apr 22, 2024, 12:22 AMAre there any books in the bible that should/shouldn't be there (or maybe just feel out of place)? Did the early councils get it right on the inclusion/exclusion way back in the 300s? Should all the books hold equal importance in a reading or should the interpretation of some be prioritized over others? I am not Christian but I like bible history proverbs and linguistic interpretation stuff.

I'm not a priest but I believe Sola Scriptura. The Bible is a higher authority than the church itself. The Old Testament is correct because Jesus references it and gives it approval Himself. And the New Testament has authority because it is a collection of writings from the apostles, and Jesus gave authority to the apostles. All Christians share the same New Testament. But there is interesting stuff in the apocrypha, like how Azazel first told women how to use makeup and stuff.

CorradoSoprano

Quote from: Green Apple Blue Sky on Apr 22, 2024, 12:22 AMAre there any books in the bible that should/shouldn't be there (or maybe just feel out of place)? Did the early councils get it right on the inclusion/exclusion way back in the 300s? Should all the books hold equal importance in a reading or should the interpretation of some be prioritized over others? I am not Christian but I like bible history proverbs and linguistic interpretation stuff.
          And I'm realizing that I just answered 0 of your questions Gabs. Major league spergout. Major league mansplaining. The book of Esther kind of feels out of place because the New Testament never references it, but it's still canon. As far as the 300s go they had 2 canons which were disputed. The Greek Septuagint (which itself has multiple versions) which had more books, and the Hebrew Old Testament which is what we use now because of Martin Luther. But also Romans 3:12 "Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God." (meaning the Jews). But people got skeptical of that because Jews became evil after 70AD and now they let you worship Satan/Zeus/Krishna as long as you don't worship Jesus, and that's why Catholics and Orthodox have more books.

Green Apple Blue Sky

Quote from: CorradoSoprano on Apr 22, 2024, 01:10 AMAnd I'm realizing that I just answered 0 of your questions Gabs. Major league spergout. Major league mansplaining. The book of Esther kind of feels out of place because the New Testament never references it, but it's still canon. As far as the 300s go they had 2 canons which were disputed. The Greek Septuagint (which itself has multiple versions) which had more books, and the Hebrew Old Testament which is what we use now because of Martin Luther. But also Romans 3:12 "Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God." (meaning the Jews). But people got skeptical of that because Jews became evil after 70AD and now they let you worship Satan/Zeus/Krishna as long as you don't worship Jesus, and that's why Catholics and Orthodox have more books.

I think sola scriptura makes a lot of sense and having priests as wealths of knowledge to guide and help to interpret is a good principle. Its really interesting how different variants split upon the inclusion/exclusion of certain texts and how that kindof shakes out today. I always thought Thessalonians felt out of place, not because it doesn't necessarily belong there, but because it directly references institutions and is like an early church framework amidst a sea of other Paul letters/new testament books that are more about how to live in accordance with Jesus' teachings.

yakkpakk

Ian - Figure It Out | From The Block Performance 🎙

CorradoSoprano

Quote from: Green Apple Blue Sky on Apr 22, 2024, 02:36 PMI think sola scriptura makes a lot of sense and having priests as wealths of knowledge to guide and help to interpret is a good principle. Its really interesting how different variants split upon the inclusion/exclusion of certain texts and how that kindof shakes out today. I always thought Thessalonians felt out of place, not because it doesn't necessarily belong there, but because it directly references institutions and is like an early church framework amidst a sea of other Paul letters/new testament books that are more about how to live in accordance with Jesus' teachings.
                Yes all Christians already believe in Sola Scriptura even if they don't realize it yet.