Previous topic Next topic

heavens_net

Feel free to share which distro u use and/or rice

Heaven's Net
    12,000,000 posts

spirit!

i wanna get into linux but i cant choose between debian and fedora

stefanie

Quote from: spirit! on Apr 22, 2024, 11:09 PMi wanna get into linux but i cant choose between debian and fedora

choose debian if you're a lesbian

#everypony
        ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█░░▒█ PUT THIS IN YOUR SIGNATURE
        ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄█ IF YOU ARE A FURRY
        ▒█░░░ ░▀▄▄▀ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ░░▒█░░ AND YOU ARE PROUD OF IT

dreamloader

spirit!

Quote from: stefanie on Apr 23, 2024, 01:13 AMchoose debian if you're a lesbian

that still doesnt really answer my question

smeeks

I have a Raspberry Pi so I guess I use Raspbian, it's just my homelab that I got plugged into my TV but I ain't been using it much lately

I want to get my RHCSA cert but idk I think I should focus on other things first so that I have a stronger understanding of what I'm getting into

binky

WHICH SHOULD I USE FOR GAMING
              Binking off

alonessix

Quote from: binky on Jun 18, 2024, 03:44 PMWHICH SHOULD I USE FOR GAMING

if you don't have an nvidia gpu in your computer you can use any that appeals to you, if you do have an nvidia gpu then you should use one that comes with the drivers for it like pop_os, otherwise it can take a really long time to set up right.

i just use pop in general though because i think it's nice and fun and has a lot of tricks i like. i also tried normal ubuntu and i think one or two others but i didn't have as good an experience with them

DIZEAZE

What's a good distro for people new to Linux that's lightweight and completely free (as in freedom)

spirit!

Quote from: DIZEAZE on Jul 24, 2024, 08:47 PMWhat's a good distro for people new to Linux that's lightweight and completely free (as in freedom)
                  mint

Acolyte of Hatshepsut

Quote from: spirit! on Aug 06, 2024, 09:19 PMmint
                    Comes with plenty of proprietary blobs if you just OK everything during the installation. Debian won't break as easily on a new user and is easier to setup with entirely FOSS packages.

Debian with KDE/Plasma really is a great starting point for those asking how to get into Linux. It's hard to break since it only lets you install stable packages by default, and has some of the widest software support since half of popular distros are effectively forks of Debian. The Plasma Desktop Environment also matches the eye-candy and customization potential that users expect from MacOS and Windows.