What would make you guys post more

Started by Sticki, Jun 27, 2024, 05:35 PM

« sploder users hangout thread | hi »

Sticki

ryxii2007

advertise the forum more, man, i've only seen DY post about this forum like... twice. spread it EVERYWHERE

spirit!

snaiil

cash reward/threats/power

realistically forum just needs more people posting at once, in which case something to attract that kind of attention

edit: something that I feel like is worth considering is that the long-term viability of a DY forum might only be predicated on the idea that its users like the trappings of the forum more than the Discord. If you look at the forums that have continued to exist past the expiration date of the concept (ex. Reddit styles itself after more current social media sites) as proper forums ex. Stack Overflow/Exchange, and various other niche topics such as Encyclopaedia Metallum, programming/cycling/aquarium (can't name any specifically but my dad uses) that continue to successfully exist are based on something that lends itself to expert domain knowledge or at least is in general specific enough that one can accumulate "knowledge" in it and concretely distribute it among others.
    It is kind of hard to say that any such premise exists for DY, in the sense that I'm not sure what actually attracts people to here or the Discord besides the concept of social interaction with other people that like DY promotion/music/aesthetic; personally I'm here because I don't really like the fast-paced Discord experience and like the organization/anachronistic feel of the forum more, but in principle I don't know what a "successful" topic would look like (so I've just posted whatever I think is cool :D), whereas on Discord you can drum up relations independent of an initial basis for interaction because the communication is low-latency.
    So the question of the DY forums being a functional forum (about DY?) or a consistently odd pastime really hinges on (in my mind) getting people to take the appeal of an anachronistically-styled forum seriously enough to consistently post on it. Its functional advantage is that you can organize conversations much better, i.e. Discord is like 3 conversations at once through a straw whereas here we have threads, but do DY fans need this much organization consistently, and do they do anything together that won't be aggressively hampered by the slowness of forum communication? idk. To me it seems the only kinds of "successful" posts that haven't been shitposts have been content aggregation posts (e.g. send me rare songs) or participation polling (e.g. cigarette thread) that couldn't exactly have happened on the raw discord, but you have to admit that's not exactly an unconquerable reason to use the forum over the discord, if people wanted those things they would find ways to curate them there too.
    So in conclusion we should start hosting downloads of alt-right black metal to attract a niche userbase for purely functional reasons. Thanks for coming to my ted talk

Hexcatz

If you stopped thinking that I'm trolling. I really changed over the past year and am now on your side.

memorymirror

im not seeing a technology enthusiast section which i feel is pretty core to most of the members here in some aspect. also advertising you have forums. i think i found out about the forums via some other post somewhere else. def prizes and contests, i remember those from yonder. those always brought in waves of people. the ones who stayed usually ended up making the forums better too. what do you think can be improved about the forum, sticki?

also apolocheese in advance, but these forums finally give me an excuse to use https://gifcities.org/ again, so im going crazy with the forum gifs. forever stuck in their spinning stasis, like a hard drive weeping gently into the night.

REAL and TRUE Psychoactive Black Magic Practitioner & GOD'S favorite eunuch nun & ego's favorite ghost.
          what am i? im a

- psuedopsychological pipebomb
          - an un-shredded chaos orb
          - chaos magician
          - death prayer practitioner

spirit!

Sticki

yakkpakk

general chat thread for daily yapping could help retain more ppl

ryxii2007

Quote from: yakkpakk on Jun 28, 2024, 11:47 PMgeneral chat thread for daily yapping could help retain more ppl

i mean, they got the shoutbox, i guess that counts... no1 rlly uses it tho lol

boner

imagine this concept okay. every day, a user is randomly selected to have red text. their name will appear in red but only for one day until a new user is chosen. every user is chosen only once. i think this would make me post more

Evilhaven

skit

Quote from: ryxii2007 on Jun 27, 2024, 07:57 PMadvertise the forum more, man, i've only seen DY post about this forum like... twice. spread it EVERYWHERE

yea the forums just ain't known enough

smeeks

Having normal hours at my job

snaiil

If Guest posted more, big ups to this MVP

binky

Binking off

Plz4Get

purityboys

Quote from: snaiil on Jul 31, 2024, 12:00 AMIf Guest posted more, big ups to this MVP
                      yaaa

Life

I enjoy how others share their art , ideas, and more. I'm not much of a poster, but more so an observer.

kono6oyashi

tantakeoff

tantakeoff

snaiil

Quote from: purityboys on Jul 31, 2024, 08:24 PMyaaa
                          let's get it (phenomenal pfp)
                          Quote from: tantakeoff on Aug 06, 2024, 11:44 AMoh i just fell for it
                          you didnt fall for anything bro <3 you

boner

Quote from: snaiil on Jul 31, 2024, 12:00 AMIf Guest posted more, big ups to this MVP
                            猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫猫

CC1995

spirit!

Acolyte of Hatshepsut

Has the forum been advertised anywhere? A good and affordable place might be /mu/ banner ads and youtube descriptions of music released by the label? It really just needs some life breathed into it to make posting compelling.

miloslav

Quote from: ryxii2007 on Jun 27, 2024, 07:57 PMadvertise the forum more, man, i've only seen DY post about this forum like... twice. spread it EVERYWHERE
                                Fr, why is there no reference to the forum on dismissyourself.com?

miloslav

Quote from: ryxii2007 on Jun 28, 2024, 11:54 PMi mean, they got the shoutbox, i guess that counts... no1 rlly uses it tho lol
                                  I think the shoutbox would be used if it was embedded on the main page instead of a separate tab tbh, that's how it used to work on those old ass forums I used as a kid and it always made them feel so much more like home.

Sticki

ill work on it

Sticki

Quote from: miloslav on Aug 21, 2024, 03:28 PMI think the shoutbox would be used if it was embedded on the main page instead of a separate tab tbh, that's how it used to work on those old ass forums I used as a kid and it always made them feel so much more like home.
                                      the shoutbox has some updates we still need to roll out so it doesnt break other features when its on the front page