「メガテン」 ⛤ Megaten General

Started by shed, Jun 18, 2024, 12:23 PM

« Project Zomboid Community Server | 🕹️ »

shed

HELLO SUMMONER...

This will be the general thread for the Megami Tensei 「女神転生」 franchise of games.

Remember that topics about other ATLUS games are loosely allowed, however this thread should be limited to games in the Megaten franchise. This includes spinoffs such as Devil Summoner, Persona, Majin Tensei, Last Bible, etc. (D:<)

shed

Speaking of, anyone picked up SMT5V yet? I'm seeing pretty avid reviews about it on Steam — mind you I haven't even played the original on Switch yet...

Sticki

Give me a brief historical overview of the franchise followed by why I should play it right now

shed

Quote from: Sticki on Jun 18, 2024, 01:14 PMGive me a brief historical overview of the franchise followed by why I should play it right now

well originally the franchise was a series of 3 novels by Aya Nishitani called Digital Devil Story, and a JRPG was developed by Atlus and Namco for the Famicom back in '87 to tie in with the plan of a multimedia franchise. eventually the series was a big hit in japan and it gained many sequels and spinoffs, most notably the Shin Megami Tensei series and Persona series.

the franchise was revolutionary for introducing a negotiation system and collection 'compendium' system (technically inspired Pokémon) but was never localised in the west because of the heavy religious themes. it was only because of the success of the Persona series that Megaten even made its way over here.

There's tons of places to start when it comes to the franchise but i'd recommend:
        • Shin Megami Tensei (SFC, PSX)
        • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)
        • Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
        • Persona 4 Golden (PSV, PC)
        as good starting points for beginners. my personal favourites are
        • Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (SAT, PSX)
        • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (NDS)
        • Persona 3 FES (PS2)

grungor

Quote from: shed on Jun 18, 2024, 01:50 PMwell originally the franchise was a series of 3 novels by Aya Nishitani called Digital Devil Story, and a JRPG was developed by Atlus and Namco for the Famicom back in '87 to tie in with the plan of a multimedia franchise. eventually the series was a big hit in japan and it gained many sequels and spinoffs, most notably the Shin Megami Tensei series and Persona series.

the franchise was revolutionary for introducing a negotiation system and collection 'compendium' system (technically inspired Pokémon) but was never localised in the west because of the heavy religious themes. it was only because of the success of the Persona series that Megaten even made its way over here.

There's tons of places to start when it comes to the franchise but i'd recommend:
          • Shin Megami Tensei (SFC, PSX)
          • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (PS2)
          • Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
          • Persona 4 Golden (PSV, PC)
          as good starting points for beginners. my personal favourites are
          • Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (SAT, PSX)
          • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (NDS)
          • Persona 3 FES (PS2)

oh dude that actually sounds really cool. im gonna have to check this out sometime
            ༺༻ ༺༻
            .·:*¨༺ peace, love, and grungor  ༻¨*:·.

shed